Friday, October 11, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Thursday evening, I guess it’s Thursday evening since Carol just informed me Friday is tomorrow. So here I am rambling away, Carol skipped you, she said that nothing had happened. So I’ll ramble a few minutes and then go sew.

I tell you sewing beats what I was doing all day. I have been proceeding on my crawl space project and having just about as much fun as any old man can have. I don’t think it beats cutting up wood, but it’s right up there. I have now placed 6 mil plastic over the majority of the crawl space floor, what’s left I will finish tomorrow. I have spread about three +/- yards of stone underneath, both above and below the plastic. I can sense a big difference in the air quality under there. I have always contended that the crawl space is why I take allergy meds daily. I never did until I moved here. Here are a couple pics of the process. 




There must have been a bumper crop of acorns this year. I have almost nothing for a lawn and have collected almost three 5 gallon buckets of them from the lawn and the beach right in front. I figure it is just as easy to pick up the acorns rather than wait until spring and pull up the oak seedlings.



I saw this guy on my way to Mechanic Falls the other day. I wonder if it is one that we see around the pond. It could be, I wasn’t that far away from home. They sure are big.  I wonder what it was looking for.



Quilt #26 for 2024 is now a completed top. 

2024-26


I rather like it. The “use up” idea for this one came out of my orphan block bin. Some of the blocks were much like the ones of the last quilt and used the rest of the Square in Square blocks I made for demo. I also needed more 9” finished blocks and I luckily found a small bin with lots of 1-1/2” x 3” finished split rectangles. They made interesting 3” finished blocks and used up most of them. There were also several strip sets of three fabrics that must have been headed for 3” nine patches. I don’t remember at all what quilt they were used in, but the left overs are gone and they are now living in #26. #27 for 2024 is well under way and is still coming out of the orphan blocks and other orphan pieces. Three or four days should see that one done.

The beach is starting the annual pile up of fallen leaves. 


 
That nuisance job will continue as an almost daily chore. Hopefully it doesn’t stay as cold and windy as today was. It was cold enough that I started on the process of unplanting the flowers. These look they would regrow again, except it will be too cold for it to happen. 


 
It was a good year but it is over. The frost didn’t get them so I guess you could say I won and got most cleaned up before they got frosted and soggy. 



The Northern Lights have been quite noticeable of late. Here is a shot from the other night and a few from tonight. Stunning to see.





The weather looks touch and go for the weekend. Hopefully you or no loved ones were within the hurricane’s path. Just one more reason why you can have Florida. Stay safe and enjoy your weekend. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Featherweights

Carol here ~ We have two Singer 221 Featherweight sewing machines. The black one is a limited edition anniversary model made in 1951 to cele...