Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

I could have been by the fire. I almost feel guilty that I’m not. The wind is calm and Carol said it is in the 50’s, however, I took out the trash and recovered the gas grill and got chilled just doing that. I think I’ll wait a bit until it warms up or I toughen up. Still feeling guilty. Pretty view from the studio tonight anyway.



Well, the weather man was correct, it snowed and it sleeted and then snowed some more, much like he said it would. Luckily the wind was not as he predicted. There are trees down everywhere as it was. A few we can see that fell into Green Pond and several have fallen into Mud Pond as well. 

The driveway was a nightmare to attempt to clean up. There were so many branches and trees laid over, heavily covered in snow. Trees bent over and laid flat on the ground for a good portion of the way. 



One tree fell over and landed on my shelter logic storage building where my trike is stored. Minor damage to the building, nothing inside was damaged though. 



This is all that is left from the two yards of gravel after I filled 100 bags. I have another 100 bags but would need more gravel to fill them. Hopefully, all was a waste of time along with taking care of them after any threat is over, and emptying them later. Is this the new norm?



The runoff between the two ponds is full and getting closer everyday to climbing over the top and beginning it’s journey our way. Who knows if and or where I may need the bags. I have 100 now full and ready to be moved as needed. Most are stored as two layers on top of the retaining wall. 


 Water is now level with the top of the second step up from the beach. More rain coming, will it stop, time will tell.

The eclipse was not total here in Oxford, kinda wished I’d gone up to Rangeley and experienced totality. Oh well, it was still cool watching what we got to see here. The light got weird and the garage light came on like it was getting darker but we never saw it get dark at all. It could not have been a better day though. Don’t normally spend much time staring at the sun so if I had not known about it I probably would never have noticed anything.

Carol did manage to get some outside binding time in waiting for the eclipse.



When the temperature fell as more of the sun was covered, both of us needed to come in for more jackets.

Well from the looks of things I have quite a bit of branches, brush, limbs and trees to clean up. I lost count with the number of the barrels I have filled and then burnt off to get rid of them so far. You heard about me and counting but must be close to 30 by now. It is doubtful that much of what Mother Nature blew down will ever get cleaned up but will remain an eyesore for many years to come. I certainly don’t think I can begin to burn up all the mess. I guess I am going to have no choice but to toughen up and get out there and get started. Maybe tomorrow, I’m stilled chilled from going out to close the shed door.

Quilting wise, I’m still working away on #10 for 2024. It’s going to a while longer.

Until next time, stay safe and keep plugging along. I’ll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...