Monday, September 5, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening, was out by the fire with oldest grandson, Evan. He eats, drinks, sleeps guitars. So you got it, we were out by the fire playing guitars. I told you earlier that I was going to attempt to pick it up again. I have been trying, but dang it hurts the fingertips. You know those fingers on my left hand, the ones responsible for getting fabric in the correct position for the steam iron to press the seams flat? Those fingers really hate the steam now. I thought it was hot before, now those tender fingers don’t like practicing or sewing.

Erin and both of her boys, Evan and Parker came for a while today.

Carol went out on the paddle board looking for turtles. 



Parker went on the paddle board while Erin went looking for turtles in the kayak. A fun afternoon on Green Pond. We had a late lunch of chicken and corn on the cob and rolls Carol made. Erin and Parker left late afternoon, Evan is staying the night then heading back to Gorham and college tomorrow. 

We were treated to a nice little thunder shower and it rained buckets. We managed to get all Evan’s guitars and amplifiers inside before they got wet. It was after the shower that we were able to go out by the fire. We tried to jam but I think Evan thinks I need to practice more. He sure knows a lot more than me that is for sure.

As soon as it stops raining (maybe Tuesday) I’ll wash the paddle boards and deflate them and possibly put them into deeper storage for the winter. I am no where near ready to put the kayaks away yet, but I know that time is coming.

Also I am not looking forward to the oak leaves of fall. (you remember the leaves I complained about all last fall). I think I may be on to a way to deal with them and snow removal and even wood moving for the fire pit. I am looking at compact tractors, possible getting what I should have bought years ago instead of what I had. Front mount blower with a cab. I used a rear mount blower with no cab for years in Rangeley. It would sure make my life easier. I’ll have Carol out blowing snow, and moving leaves, you'll see. Time will tell.

We were treated to a a great Blue Heron or as we call them Shitpokes.  I was too slow to get it as it sat on the beach, but I did manage to get a couple as it took off. I think they are camera shy.




My sewing time is still being spent using up 1-1’2” squares. I got waylaid a little when I found a bag with these 1-1/2” half square triangles. I have been assembling them into pinwheels and trimming them to 1-1/2” finished pinwheels. 




No idea what I’m using them for yet. They can be combined with 2” squares and get interesting 3” finished blocks. These could quite easily go with the 3” finished blocks I was creating with the 4-patch units. 



I’m sure that something will come to mind when I have enough different variations completed. I am quite sure that I have another bin of 3” finished units behind the doors beside me as I sit at my machine. Lately I have been striving to empty the 1-1/2” bin of scraps. It is a feeble goal I realize, but it is something to strive for. I will admit some of the squares I see in the box may not make it anywhere but the trash bin. Even at 1-1/2” they are still too ugly for my taste. Some of them only end as 1/2” squares in 1” finished 4-patches so they may be OK for that.

Now for the rest of the story regarding the Smith family visit. Erin was supposed to pick up something in Rangeley for Carol, she forgot to pick it up and bring it with her. Not the whole story yet, Evan forgot his dorm keys in Rangeley. It seems that now Carol is headed to meet Erin in Farmington Monday morning to get Evan’s keys and Carol’s order. Never a dull moment.

I hope you enjoy the beginning of your week. Until next time, remember all will work out in the end, if it’s not working out, it’s not the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...