Monday, August 29, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening, you guessed it, sitting out by the fire. It is a beautiful evening, dead calm. I can still hear the Oxford 250 up at the Speedway in the background and a few minutes ago I was treated to the calls of the coyote answering back and forth as they were off on a hunt to catch their prey. From the final sounds that I heard, I think they were successful.

The time lapse picture of the pond was pretty as I set on the stairs headed towards the beach. I was trying to get the coyotes calls but were too late. The hunt calls are usually very short in duration. 



I looked up and decided to show you that view as well. The big dipper is my center view as it will be all fall. 



On my walks of the last few days I have been shown an explosion of mushrooms popping up everywhere. Mostly while I am on the ridge trail. Small ones and large ones and pretty ones as well. How did anyone ever figure out which ones were ok to eat, or rather which ones were good to eat. I guess every grouping has a “Timmy”, you know the guy, he’ll attempt any lame brained idea thrown out by the group. I can just see it “Timmy try this…. Wow look at Timmy do you think he liked it? Hey give Mikey some he’ll try anything.” No.. I think at this point, the few times I eat mushrooms every year I’ll think I’ll buy them. Here are some of the ones I’ve seen lately. 








Finishing with the exhibit quilts, next should be #16, #17 and #18.

#16 


I had fun with this one. I encircled a Square in a Square or a 36 patch with V-block units and Corner Beams spacers were added and it made the stars float. The Diamond Rects needed to be floated a little as well, to make the sashing strips work. Coupled with the 
Flying Geese on the Square in a Square units created a nice circular effect.

#17 ~ Flying Geese 1484



Yes, that is right there are 1484 flying geese in this quilt. I came up with the block made up of the star created with the 1/2” x 1” flying geese stars in the center of the block. I then circled that unit with 2”x4” flying geese. Monotonous but not difficult. I designed a border block to go around this quilt but I did not like it. So I decided to leave it without a border.

The final quilt in the exhibit series is #18 ~ Flying Geese 1176. 



Yes, 1176 flying geese in this one. This quilt is actually made up of the block that I designed and was going to use as the border in #17. I added the sashing strips and corner stone stars to set off the final quilt in this series. By no means the last of the scrap series, just the last of this exhibit.

Should be good weather around here most of the week, enjoy your week. Until next time remember, wherever you go there you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...