Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Quiet Tuesday evening out sitting by the fire. No sunset tonight, well I’m sure that there was but no visual effects here. 



Nice calm day spent just puttering. Don’t ask me what I did, don’t really remember. I know I went for my walk and obtained my steps for the day. Unofficially I am just over 1450 miles for the year. I just keep plugging along. 

I can see the season beginning to change. The trees over on the Winter Brook side of the ridge are beginning to show some color. Naturally the stressed maples along the edge of the brook will feel the change earliest. The ferns as well are turning gold. I guess it’s not too early but it sure feels it.

Continuing the review of the exhibit quilts, this time with numbers 13,14 and 15.

Rona 13 


 I used a very simple churn dash block. I have always enjoyed this block, it is simple and quick to create. Again it is the sashing strips that control the eyes on the quilt. The use of my Corner Pop 3 allowed me to achieve the surprise pink star accenting the sashing strips. A piano key border rounds out this quilt.

Rona 14 


 
In this quilt I used a lot of half rectangles. I achieved this using my Split Rects tool. This allowed me to have all the half rectangles all the same. I again used my Corner Pop 3 to create the lopsided stars in the sashing. Again used the piano key border to tie it all together.

Rona 15 



This one was a little more of a challenge. This quilt was designed to use up a bag of green squares. I found a good accompanying fabric and went to work. Those two fabrics became the flying geese around the group of 36 scraps making up the block. I liked the blue and yellow stars in the cornerstones but knew I could not live with a big blue sashing strip. Hence the sashing strip of ninety-six 1/2” finished squares. (for many of the squares I used 1/2 square triangles, just because). A fun intricate quilt, looks a lot more difficult than it actually was.

Still working on using up my 1-1/2” squares, the pile is getting smaller. I need to find some light scraps if I am to continue getting rid of the rest the 1-1/2” scraps as about all I have left are mediums and darks. I still don’t fully know what I will be doing with the pile of 3” finished scrap blocks I am making, but the pile is getting rather large. I think I will next need to sort them out by putting them with their friends. There are many that have several duplicates and I’m sure that will assist with the design process as I proceed to create a quilt top. I am getting closer to putting something together but haven’t quite decided what the primary color will be used combining all the blocks. The color I choose will be where the eyes will fall as all the scraps come together.



Enjoy the rest of your week, hopefully we get some good weather. I’m happy as long as we don’t have days that rain all day. Makes it hard to walk. I don’t mind walking in the snow but am not impressed about walking in the rain.

Stay safe and enjoy yourself, until next time...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...