Friday, December 31, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Do you believe it? Today is the last day of the year. Not real sad to see this year depart.

Vanessa and her kids came for a visit yesterday. I went out on to the ice and shoveled off a play area. We will see what the warm weather will do to it this weekend. 



Everyone watched me make a snowman, then we had pictures taken with him.  He doesn’t say much, (I didn’t give him a mouth) but he seems like a pretty cool dude.



My Flying Geese project is flying right along. I changed the design and went from a 6x7 layout to a 5x6 instead. This meant that I need twelve fewer blocks or more precisely I need twelve fewer of the little small blocks with the little tiny flying geese in them.

Then I went ahead and designed a pieced border made up of …….. you guessed it, more flying geese. If I counted correctly there are 30 geese in each 8”x12” block. So when I add the 840 geese in the body of the top to the 660 in the border it means there will be 1500 geese flying around on this quilt. Nice round number, I have the blocks complete for the body of the quilt. 


It is not sewn together yet, as I moved on to try and get a border block complete. This naturally means making many more flying geese. Hopefully this project will get flying geese out of my system. I was getting tired of squares though.

The border block and a problem;

The border block 



The problem; do I put a framing border on before the border block? I’m leaning towards the framing border. What do you think?

With



Without



Vermont Quilt Festival has announced the cancellation of the 2022 quilt show. I am waiting to see if Maine Quilts follows their lead. Maine is a later show but I have my doubts about whether it will take place or not. I personally think it will more than likely be 2024 or 2025 before we see any great degree of normalcy return to our lives. Unfortunately, this means many of us around today will never see it again. Depressing thought.

As I told you last time I made my 2021 mile walking goal and will finish out the year at around 2175 miles. I’ll know for sure tonight as the walking year comes to an end. I will keep track and try and see if I can replicate it, plus a mile for 2022. I would hate to stop now. It has kinda become a habit. I’ll keep you posted.

Enjoy the New Year’s festivities, ours will be spent as any other day, walking, reading and for me, sewing. Not a bad way to spend a day.

Be safe, watch out for crazy people. I saw a bunch of the crazies at Walmart when I stopped to pick up meds for Carol. I am always amazed at the number of different styles of pajamas worn to go shopping. I felt overdressed in my jeans.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out. And if the dog got out when you left the house, make sure you catch him and put him back in before you leave. I saw you let the dog back in, I saw he was muddy so I knew he’d been out. It was still appreciated. However the “kitty” with the white stripe down it’s back was not ours and probably should have stayed outside. Luckily the winter has been mild so we just left the windows open for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...