Monday, October 11, 2021

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here from the fire. Beautiful evening and sunset time. 




Here is what the normal by the fire looks like. 



I guess I fibbed Ethan, these chairs are a little bit more comfortable than the folding ones, although they get used as well.

Nice calm evening and has been about all day. I started the fire in mid afternoon to get rid of some papers and have been burning off some of the soft wood in the wood shed. Tomorrow I will fill up the wood shed with hard wood. The hard wood will give me a better winter fire than the soft wood. Hotter and will last longer. Who knows if I will even use the fireplace during the winter. It is nice to think that I might and be ready.

Today saw the emptying of some of the Sunpatiens from the pots that they spent their lives in. (this summer) I am leaving the row of them along the top of the retaining wall for now, the upcoming week is supposed to be quite nice. I rather doubt it will be swimming nice, but then again, I haven’t been swimming since we moved here.

I think I figured that out this summer. The why I seldom go swimming thing. As a kid, growing up here on Green Pond, I was in the water as much as anyone else was. The only real difference was I would get horrendous ear aches. I think now that is what I remember about swimming, yes it can be fun, but is it worth it? Seldom go anymore.

The borders for the current project (of which I have yet to receive any suggestions of a name) are coming along. I have the fourteen V-block stars complete. I am still working on the sashing strip sets. I have thirteen complete, I need eighteen. My math says I need five more. 



That’s over 500 pieces to make those five strip sets. I am beginning to think this idea was one that those damn voices in my head suggested. Of course I said, “sure I can do that” ~ I knew it was me because I recognized my voice. I need to stop listening to them. There are almost 1800 pieces in just the sashing strips in the border. Using up lots of scrap pieces on this project. It’s too bad the pieces are only 1-1/2” squares. I have less of them now, and I have made a great many more of them from other scrap pieces.

I still do not know exactly what will happen on the last border. I do see a lot of flying geese flocking to my sewing station. At first I thought it might be a migration, but I decided it was just a growing pile of 1”x 2” flying geese like I used in the blocks. 


I think I might have a math problem with the outer border and they are even worse than science problems. Science is often open to interpretation, math either fits or it does not, never any wriggle room. I can hopefully lay something out in the next few days and see what works. The fun of the design as you go process.

We are supposed to be getting a great week weather wise, hope you are too.

Remember, where ever you go, there you are, if I’m supposed to meet you there and you get there first, draw a blue line where we planned to meet. If I get there first, I’ll rub it out.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...