Thursday, January 14, 2021

TBT ~ Atlantic Sunrise

Carol here ~

When we were quilt shop owners we would close the shop down for the month of March to take a breather and enjoy some vacation time.

Some years we would visit our daughter and family when they were stationed in Maryland and then Virginia. For several years we traveled to Jekyll Island GA, one of the Golden Isles of Georgia barrier islands.

We rented a Villa right on the beach on the East side of the island. We walked the beach (miles of it) when the tide was low and stitched away when the tide was high.

Yep, we brought our sewing machines and kits we had made up before we left home. We pieced shop samples, pattern samples and sometimes show quilts while we were there.

Sunrise
Sunrise on Jekyll Island

ATLANTIC SUNRISE was inspired by my favorite time of the day from the beach on Jekyll Island. 
Quilt
Atlantic Sunrise


The yellow background represents the sandy beach and the red/coral fabrics announce the arrival of a new day in the setting of Hunter Star pieced blocks. The rich blue of the ocean is incorporated in the pieced inner border.

My pieced design includes Rapid Fire Hunter Star construction techniques from Studio 180 Design.

ATLANTIC SUNRISE is original, freehand, custom quilted by me with feathers, curved crosshatching, curly-q’s and feathered sunbursts in the blue inner border. I used a variegated thread in various shades of red.

Quilt

Quilt


This quilt received a 1st Place Blue Ribbon at Maine Quilts. I don’t think it went to any other shows because…..

I sold it!

I had the quilt hanging in the shop for display with no price tag on it as we usually don’t sell our show quilts. A couple came into the shop, fell in love with it and wanted to buy it. Hmmmm, I’m not sure I want to sell it said I.

They told me to think about it and they would be back the next day. Dan & I talked it over, came up with a price and sold it to them the next day. They were thrilled. I was not ~ at first. I loved that quilt, why did I sell it? But, after I thought about it I was happy it went to someone who loved it as much as I and appreciated the time and creativity it took to construct it.

Several weeks later I received this picture from them of the quilt on their bed with a note of appreciation.
Quilt


By the way, if you are looking for a nice quiet vacation, I highly recommend Jekyll Island in March. It is off-season and there are no crowds. Sometimes, Dan and I would be the only ones on the beach for as far as you could see. Someday we are hoping to get back there….

1 comment:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...