Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Too Many Quilts

Carol here ~

We have too many quilts! Since our move we really don’t have a place to store them all so we are going to offer some of them to you.  

Quilts for Sale

You will see in the tabs above that I have added ~ 

Quilts for Sale Small ~ you will find table toppers and small wall hangings here

Quilts for Sale Lap ~ Lap quilts, couch quilts

Quilts for Sale Large ~ Double, Queen, King


I will be adding quilts as I bring them from storage and categorize them.  Keep checking back.

First, I would like to share this “Why Do Quilts Cost So Much?” by longarm quilter and photographer Doug Sobel. I think it conveys a pretty accurate description of all the different steps and pricing of making a quilt. 
As a former quilt shop owner I am aware that most people have no idea of the value of these pieces of art.

We keep work sheets on most the quilts we make which includes everything listed above so that we know what we actually have invested in our quilt.

The following is the work sheet on a quilt designed by Studio180 Design called Hot Flash. Dan pieced this one and I custom quilted it ~ all free motion and ruler work.



Here is our version.  It measures 52" x 62", a good lap/couch quilt.  (in fact, it is my recliner quilt)


As you can see on the sheet, it took Dan 31-1/2 hours to piece it ($472) and 11-1/2 hours for me to quilt it ($345) ~ all freemotion and ruler work.  Add in binding time ($30) and supplies (149.12), total comes to $996.62.  I would probably price in the $800 ~ $850 range.

Now I know not everyone can afford artwork in this price range and that is OK but I am not going to devalue my work to make a quilt affordable for you.  We are skilled quilters and deserve a fair working price for our skill.  Our quilts are usually on the more intricate side, it is what we do. 

That being said, some of the quilts I am adding to our blog are former shop samples/pattern samples that we are selling at a discounted price. I would love to see them go to a good home!

As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, we have too many quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...