Thursday, December 3, 2020

TBT ~ A Walk On The Ridge

Carol here ~

I thought I would do a few Throw Back Thursdays and showcase some of our favorite quilts throughout the years. (and tell the stories behind them) The first one is titled A WALK ON THE RIDGE. 

Dan and I walk every day. One of our routes is “around the pond”. We start out on our road, Memory Lane, and head up the hill to Old County Road which runs parallel on the west side of Mud (Mirror) and Green Ponds. 
Walk


From there we come around the south end of the pond

Green Pond
That's us you see way down on the end.

and continue on to Rowe Lane,

The Ridge


aka "The Ridge" which runs down the east side of Green and Mud (Mirror) Ponds with Winter Brook running down the other side of the ridge. 

The Ridge
Winter Brook

(The ridge is actually an esker, a ridge of gravelly and sandy drift formed many moons ago by streams under or in glacial ice).

The Ridge
Our place from The Ridge

Many miles have been walked via the ridge. Growing up here on the pond, one of my best friends lived about halfway up the pond so we were always running back and forth between camps. Then Dan’s family arrived along with a couple other families with kids so there was lots of comings and goings on the ridge!

Okay, now we are getting to the quilt part….

A few years ago my niece Kelsi snapped this photo when she was walking the ridge. 

The Ridge
Photo by Kelsi

It was springtime, it had just rained and the trees and ground cover had just started leafing out. I just loved the colors and was inspired to make a quilt based on those colors. I adapted a pattern by Studio 180 Design called Snowflurries ~ this is what I ended up with.

Quilt

I custom quilted it ~ all free motion and ruler work, thought it came out pretty good so decided to enter it in a couple of shows. 

Quilt


When a quilt is entered in a show to be judged the label with your name on it and any story you have included on the label must be covered up so the judges will not know who the quilt belongs to. Which is good. And bad. 

Quilt

This quilt did not “show” well. The judges were not impressed with the colors. Comments included “too drab, not enough color contrast, no pop in color” to name a few. I don’t know if it would have made a difference if they could of seen the photo my inspiration came from, but they couldn’t so…..whatever. I love the quilt, it is one of my favorites and that is all that matters to me.


2 comments:

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...