Monday, December 28, 2020

Shoot, I ran out of fabric!

Dan here~

Oops, I did not manage to get the quilt top Rona 7 completed. I did manage to get 3 sides of the border on and many of the sections of the final pieced border ready. 

BUT….I RAN OUT OF THE BACKGROUND FABRIC.  Don’t you hate it when that happens? 

Most of you follow patterns, that gives you an advantage over the way I make most of my quilt tops. When you follow patterns made by others, they not only give you the piecing and assembling instructions, they give you yardage requirements. My method does not do this, unless I take the time and do all the calculations before I start. I have no real idea of how much I need of each fabric.

You’d never know it but I’m lazy. Most of the quilt top was to be scrap. The background fabric had a “good” amount left on the bolt, I thought I’d be fine.

Well, after I designed the border, I began to worry. Was I going to have enough? I had already worried that I would not have enough of the red that I used in the Lemoyne Star blocks in the body of the quilt. I made it by the skin of my teeth ~ this is all I had left.

Scrap Quilts


I had already substituted a different red of the same pattern into the 4-patch blocks and used it in the Lemoyne Star border corner blocks. That was not going to work on the background fabric that came up short. Having no idea how short I would be, I went online and found some in a shop in Kentucky. I ordered 2 yards. With the shipping delays people have been posting on social media I am keeping my fingers crossed. Tracking says I should get it tomorrow. I decided to continue until I completely ran out.

Scrap Quilts


The Christmas cactus beside Carol’s iron and cutting station is in bloom. They were not real happy this fall as they usually spend their summers outside, but this year that did not happen. I have 3 of them, this is the only one currently in bloom. This one is happier now that it has a new pot and some new soil.

Plants


Cross your fingers my fabric arrives so I can finish 'Rona 7 and show you how the top came out, hopefully on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...