Friday, August 16, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

In the studio. It was a rather odd day today, weather wise. I went to bed this morning with the forecast of cloudy most of the day with thunder storms in the afternoon. Wrong, we had a thunder storm then it rained most of the morning, then turned out half decent this afternoon. Neighbors have a horseshoe tournament on Sunday so Carol and I have been keeping an eye on the weather. An interesting concept, at least it would seem so anyway. A couple days ago the forecast was for rain most of the day. Now the forecast is for a cloudy and mostly dry day. There is still a few days before Sunday, you got it time will tell.

I am rather disappointed with many of my plants this season. While almost everything looked good for a while for some reason much has fast forwarded to near dead about four weeks earlier than I would have expected. 


 

I think much can be attributed to the very hot weather with erratic downpours. It’s hard to know how much more to water. It’s almost time to start thinking about what I’ll plant next season. I know several things I won’t plant again. I don’t do well with Dahlias and we are about over the Cleome. They look great some years but this year not so much. They were a victim of the erratic watering, they have a very long tap root. I think they lacked water deep in the bed. My bad.

We are picking a lot of tiny tomatoes from the Candyland plant I told you I ordered all the way from California. One plant grew so much more than the other. Oh well we have more than we need anyway. Carol says plant fewer tomatoes next summer. Time will tell.

As I said last time the Lily is gone for the season. It makes the area out front a little dull. Hopefully the moles don’t find them so we can enjoy them next summer. 



Well, the block I came up with to create the multiple chain effect quilt got put on hold. I drew the intended blocks out on EQ8 and started playing with twisting and rotating them and came up with a rather interesting layout. Therefore, I am heading in that direction this time. I still have about 10 blocks left to begin the layout and assembly process. Here they are sitting on Lena patiently waiting for the rest of the blocks to be completed. 



Hopefully tonight will see the assembly process begin. With a great deal of luck, Jack the Ripper will not be joining me as I assemble the top. He sometimes shows up for the stupidest mistakes. You name it I’ve probably done it. From not putting two fabrics together to putting too many together. That’s why we keep Jack handy. 



This one was from a fellow Studio 180 Design instructor. Gail C. Heller brought one for each of us at our first reunion. Been my go to Jack ever since.

I just checked the weather and I guess with the exception of a chance of showers I should have a good weekend. What I comprehended from what I read, is that it may be nice, it may be cloudy and it may even rain from time to time. In other words Mother Nature stole my mantra. Time will tell.

Whatever you/we get enjoy it, it’s all we’re going to get. Stay safe. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...