Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here on the MLK holiday ~

Today is nice and clear but what a roller coaster the weather has been this year. 



We were lucky not to have received the brunt of the force of Mother Nature during the last two storms. The forecast was for six or more inches of snow before turning to rain during both events. On the first storm we did get about 6” and I went out at 1:00 AM to blow driveway. When I got up later the rain had made a nasty mess. Very heavy snow to clean up. 

On the second we received almost no snow, mostly rain. This was even harder to clean up. That’s ok, everything is froze solid now, well except maybe the pond. I really have no real idea if the pond is frozen or not and have no real desire to find out. The water level is higher now than it has been after ice out the last few years. I guess spring could be interesting here on the pond.

I have been continuing to “clean” up the fabric that is cluttering my work space. As I said last time, a lot of clean up this time is going directly into 4-patch units and half square triangles. They are being trimmed into 3”, 2”, and 1-1/2” finished units. I have one bin that consists of trimmed units and one of untrimmed. 



My 4-1/2” squares are being paired together and identifying as 3” finished half square triangles.

As the untrimmed bin gets too full, I trim more. As the trimmed bin gets full, I turn some into 6” finished blocks. Either of these two variety. 



 Repeat as necessary.

Last night I drew up the first 4-6 of this years quilt tops. Needless to say, there will be copious numbers of 4-patch units being used. The first layout will need 28 of each variety of these 6” blocks. So will the second. Much more fabric to clean up and many more 4-patch units are yet to be created. I have more than enough of the two 6” blocks for the first layout, but think I will continue cleaning up and making more until I go totally insane or get too antsy and can’t put off making a top any longer.

There is another storm scheduled for tomorrow, who knows what that one will bring. News said 3 - 6 inches, which translates in my head into, it’s going to snow… wait and see what you get. 

Generator fuel tank full, tractor fueled. I guess I’m ready for what comes our way. This year I don’t think I could be surprised at whatever the weather brings.

Until next time, stay safe and enjoy your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

 Dan here ~ Was out by the fire as it was a very nice evening. I had my doubts but the wind calmed down quite nicely.  I find it very hard ...