Monday, October 24, 2022

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~

Sunday evening, you guessed it, out by the fire. It was a beautiful day and a lovely evening. No real great sunset but a really great day. Spent the day moving leaves off the beach and relocating them up into the woods. We also managed to get the swim float up on the beach and out of the way. We then moved the neighbors float up further onto the beach so I can more easily get at the leaves as they continue to float in towards shore. 

 I bought a new tool today, I will be honest as I don’t know for sure what the tool is supposed to be for. 


I believe it is supposed to be used to clean out the stalls. I think I will be able to scoop the leaves out of the water easier than trying to rake them onto the shore. Raking them, just causes them to swirl and move all over the place. Hopefully I’ll be able to scoop them out then I will be moving leaves and pine needles, not sand, leaves and pine needles. 

Tractor is working out fairly well, I just need to keep reminding myself it is hardly more than a toy. It is very top heavy when using the front bucket and was a learning curve at first for sure. I had a few close calls and am still working on a solution. I will need to add more weight to the rear and keep the bucket low. The dang thing wants to roll over, don’t think I want to go there...again. Yeah, I rolled one years back. Not completely on it’s side but well on it’s way. That time I was able to get the truck close enough and pulled it upright and out of the hole it was in with the truck.

Last Friday I had several tall pines up where I want to build a storage shed cut down.



Well, to be honest, in my previous life I would have built the shed, today I will hire it built. Just like probably 20 years ago I would have cut the trees down. No thank you, that is what the other professionals are for. 

My carpenter is possibly due this week to change the ridge vent on the house roof and build a platform to place underneath my hoop storage building. With the building setting on the gravel there is way too much moisture and therefore condensation on everything inside. I had to leave the front open all summer because the moisture was causing mildew on my tricycle. Seems like both projects are to solve a condensation problem. Let’s hope they both work. Maybe they’ll show and also have time to build the shed if I can get it prepped. Getting prepped requires building a bridge over a drainage ditch and moving another 6 - 10 yards of gravel to go under where the building is going. Hence, the reason why I needed to get the learning curve figured out so the tractor stays on four wheels during the process.

My quilt project is possibly going to be in trouble. My blocks are 7-1/2” finished with 1-1/2” finished sashing. My original idea was to build the top from 30 blocks, 5 blocks wide and 6 blocks tall. Then there was to be three 1-1/2” borders. Two were to be strips and the middle one was going to be pieced. Looking at the 5x6 layout I saw that I really needed the layout to be 5x7 not 5x6. 



This time I might end up having to be creative because I am just about out of the two tone light blue I am using as the background. I tried counting and doing the math to see if I had enough and even after turning off the audio book, I just gave up. I decided to charge ahead and see where I end up and just deal with it when the time comes. I believe the quilt is destined to be for me as I have grown to really like it as it has progressed. 

There are two units of that fabric that I am using. One measures 3-1/2” x 2” and the other is a 2-3/4” square. I have a piece still uncut that is large enough to get a 2-3/4” x width of fabric strip. I’m not cutting that last piece until I use up every possible piece of scrap. I have already scrounged the stub ends, you know the last scrap before the fold? I managed to get 4 of the 2” x 3-1/2” and 2 of the 2-3/4” squares. 

The other fabric that I thought would be an issue, no longer is. I was lucky enough to find several yards still on the bolt down in storage. Hopefully, tonight will answer the question of whether there is enough of the blue or not. Anyone who knows me knows I am looking at it as “either there is, or there ain’t. Whichever it is I’ll deal with it”. To be honest I kinda hope I don’t need to get real creative in order to finish the top. But as anyone who has been reading these ramblings knows what my next line will be. Time will tell. I’ll let you know on Friday.

I am getting a little tired of this top, if truth be told. After this top, I guess I will be going back to scrap and orphan block donation quilts. Or at least donation quilts using larger pieces of fabric to use some of it up. I have an idea that the majority of the upcoming quilts will still start out from the many many scraps of many different sizes already upstairs in the studio. What many would consider monotony I consider a time filler until bedtime. Twenty years ago I would have set in front of the TV until I woke up from pre-sleep and then have gone to bed. Now I sew, Carol will tell stories though, that sometimes the audio book and sewing lulls me into some pre-sleep before bedtime just like the TV did. But at least most nights I get a lot done before calling it a day.

It’s supposed to rain around here the next couple days, so not much will happen outside. I hope I don’t have to get my mandatory 5000 steps inside the house. I have before but truly hate to. Still 5000 is a far cry from my normal 15000 plus. Last Friday on walk tally day, I was at 1833 miles, that means that to reach my goal of 2022 miles for the year I need 190 miles more. You know my response, time will tell.

I’ll probably come back at you for Friday, which will be here before you know it. Hopefully I see some workers and see some progress on the portions that I will be doing to get ready for them before Friday. But guess what? Friday will come anyway, so enjoy your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan's Ramblings

Dan here ~ A nice calm Thursday evening out by the fire. Tonight’s view up the pond.  I finally was able to buy the steel that I wanted for ...